Thursday 20 October 2011

The Lion King!


Have you ever experienced something that is so beautiful that it literally takes your breath away? That basically sums up my safari. The beauty of the animals and landscapes of the different parks blows my mind…so many times I found myself in awe of how beautiful life is. It’s crazy that something that beautiful exists in the world. Way to go God, you’ve got mad skills!
We saw everything there is to see. Elephants, giraffes, lions, monkeys, antelopes, baboons, pumbas, snakes, zebras, buffalos, flamingos, hippos and tons of other beautiful creatures.  I can’t wait to put my pictures on facebook so people can get an idea of what I saw. The landscape was absolutely beautiful…I felt like I was living in the Lion King movie…speaking about lions. The craziest thing happened…A lion came right up to our car…so close that my guide told me to roll up the window…I could almost pet her…and she went out our car to get some shade and took a little nap. This was after we saw the lion feasting on some sort of animal carcass. We saw lions mating, monkeys, mating, baboons mating…lots and lots of mating. We saw a giraffe outside of the National park just chilling by a tree…and I got pretty darn close to it..it was so awesome..if I had enough room in my suitcase it would have become my new pet.
Our first night we camped out right in a national park…and I am not kidding when I say we literally heard lions roar from our tent. Not to mention elephants and giraffes hanging out extremely close to us. Imagine waking up walking outside and seeing a giraffe..it was like a dream.
Oh and I went on a camel ride, no big deal or anything..but seriously, it was awesome.
The safari reminded me once again how truly amazing life is…and how it’s so easy to forget the beauty and focus and the hard and painful parts of life.
In other news…I went to the hospital yesterday…no it wasn’t for me. I am fine! It was for one of the little boys in my class who has been sick with severe bone tuberculosis since birth…he also has the really bad fungal infection on his head that looks really painful and bothersome…it broke my heart to see him suffer, and on top of all this his father left him and his mom because he was tired of the boy being sick…so now they are left with no money because the mom doesn’t work because she needs to take care of her son. I visited their house the other day and it was so tiny and primitive…she showed me over 70 empty bottles of medicine that the boy has taken…and she was saying that nothing has worked…he gets over 20 shots a week…20! I got stuck like 13 times when I was sick and I hated life..this boy gets 20 and is still so laid back and happy. Sorry for the sad rant…but I think there is a lesson to learn about this little boy. Although he has suffered all his life…he still is one of the most smiley kids in my class..so polite, so well mannered…it goes to show you that the suffering in life can be overcome..you don’t have to fall into a dark hole..and let your suffering be an excuse for bad actions, you can sometimes conquer it, learn from it, and be a better person once your through it.
Being back at my placement has been amazing, I am teaching my kids about the 5 senses this week, and next week I am teaching them all about different holidays and traditions! I am so excited for that. I’m going to be teaching them about Christmas traditions, easter, birthdays, Halloween and new years! Should be fun!
Update on the Orphanage. We have finished painting 3 rooms and the bathroom area! Now we are working on the 4th and the big safari themed mural in the big room..Its looking pretty awesome!
Ok I have a long day ahead of me so I gotta go! Missing everyone back home, I Hope everything is going great!

LOVE,
Monica!

1 comment: