Thursday 27 October 2011

Well that was unexpected!

So the last few days have been really interesting. This week at placement has been really neat...I have been teaching them all about holidays and traditions that I do back at home. Today I taught them about Christmas and we did a gift exchange. I wrapped up the smallest presents...little candies, small bars of soap, tooth brushes...and they were literally so excited. The kids who got the soap looked as though they were on top of the world. It made me think back to all my christmas' and how much i had received and how I never had a look like that on my face. Its amazing what a 15 cent bar of soap can do for someone.
Also I was asking what they did for Christmas and they got so excited to tell me that sometimes they get new clothes and have special food..and how amazing they thought it all was..as Christmas is coming up I am going to try and keep the lesson my kids showed me in mind. 

Walking home from placement today was interesting...mostly because i got peed on. Yes...a little girl peed on me. I pick her up and walked her all the way home and when i put her down i found this massive wet pee stain on my shirt. The little girl just giggled guiltily and ran away...Gotta love her.

Yesterday on the other hand was a much better walk home...I walk this little boy named Living home almost every day...he is the one with the really bad burns on his legs...I took him to the hospital 2 days ago to meet the doctor because he is finally getting surgery...thank God. Hes going on Sunday to get it done so I will be going with him. keep him in your prayers! Wow...I am getting super side tracked...back to the walk home. So anyways, we are walking home...and his parents passed by in a taxi ...and he started getting really excited. I had no idea why though and i couldn't just ask him because of the language barrier. so we get to the house..and usually his parents or siblings will come outside and say hi and talk to me...but today noone did...and living ran inside with hugging me bye...so it was all really odd, and just as i was walking away...his father comes out and asks me to come in the house...so i walk in..and the first thing i see is a little new born baby girl and Livings mothers arms. Turns out she was pregnant and I didn't even know. I was the first one outside of the family to see there little new born baby...and apparently in this culture it is a very big deal who sees the baby first. I felt so honored...I took a bunch of pictures of the family and I am making them a baby book for the little girl..whos name is Janet! It was unreal!!

Also...I got sick again today...which is super annoying ....but I am already feeling better so hopefully I won't be going to Nairobi again :P

Ok I gotta go make a pinata now!

Miss Y'all!

Monica.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and all these beautiful kids.
    Keep doing what you're doing, girl <3

    ReplyDelete