Thursday 1 September 2011

The moments that take your breath away.

Today was absolutely unbelievable. We went to this tribal village in the middle of no where. The tribe was called the Maasai tribe. They are an extremely poor tribe and they live in an area that has absolutely nothing around it. No water, no hospitals, no proper roads..they live off just animals. drinking their blood and milk and eating their meat. About only 3 people had any form of education and the rest didn't speak any English...which was brutal because my Swahili sucks! They lived in small mud huts. One of the villagers showed me where he slept and it was the smallest hut..you wouldnt even be able to spread your legs out fully.

After another villager brought me into a hut where a baby had been for just a couple days before...and before i knew it the baby was in my arms. Looking down at that beautiful baby I couldnt help but think about how innocent and precious it was and how such a little thing had been thrown into a world that me and so many others will never be able to understand. the suffering, pain and hardship that that baby will probably have to endure...i will never be able to comprehend. That baby will have to grow up way faster than i can even imagine..it makes me feel so blessed to have had such an amazing care free childhood.

Its crazy how the villagers still managed to be happy. They greeted us with smiles and joy...how can someone in their situation have such a happy out look on life? These people have changed me. Appreciate all that you have because someone somewhere far or close is appreciating life with a lot less.

To end on a happy note...I got taught a local tribal dance! They asked me to come up and they put this thing around my neck and i was in the middle of all of them...and we started dancing and singing their traditional dance. It was absolutely incredible.

My first day at the nursery starts tomorrow! I will be teaching children from the ages 3 to 7 ...Im a tad bit nervous so wish me luck! :)

Love you all!

Monica!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Monsie,

    The experiences you've shared thus far, have been absolutely mind-boggling! Your story about the Maasai tribe, how they have virtually nothing, yet they manage to smile...WOW! The story about the newborn that you held in your arms.....i can only imagine how she must have melted your heart.

    Of course you'd be right in the middle of the circle for the tribal dance:) that must've been a blast! You have to show me how to do it! Any chance we can do those moves on the table?...lol:)

    Goodluck on your first day teaching the children. I am certain that you will do just fine. What exactly are you teaching the 3-7 y.o. children? Just be yourself, they will love you! You're a kid-magnet, remember?

    I really really enjoy your blog....keep 'em coming. Don't ever get a writer's cramp ok?!

    Love you lots.
    Take care my sweet monster and God Bless you inn all that you do.
    xoxo
    Momsie

    ReplyDelete